Judge Frederick G. Gorss, Montgomery Town Justice:
Frederick G. Gorss is a life long resident of the Town of Montgomery. He is in his 20th year as Montgomery Town Justice. For the past 19 years, he has also been Acting Justice of the Village of Walden, serving with the Honorable Raynard Ozman, Village of Walden Justice.
In 1982, Attorney Gorss opened up his own Law Practice located at 2102 State Route 208 in Montgomery, New York.
Judge Gorss is also a Private Attorney having practiced locally for 41 years. He started his career in 1974 at the Law Office of Clifford Barber, Esq. as an Associate, and later became a Partner.
Justice Gorss’ legal practice consists of Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Elder Law, Family Law, Real Estate and Probate.
He has extensive Felony & Misdemeanor Trial Experience.
Judge Gorss is experienced in all Types of Cases that Come before a Town Court, which includes. Evictions/Civil Cases/Criminal Cases/Vehicle & Traffic Cases/Small Claims/Animal Cases as well as many other Different Matters;
Judge Gorss is admitted to practice in The New York State Courts, United States District Courts for the Southern & Eastern Districts of New York and the United States Supreme Court.
Some Professional Associations include: New York State Magistrates Association, Orange County Magistrates Association, New York State Bar Association and Orange County Bar Association, Member of New York Bar Association Judicial & Criminal Justice Sections, Member of Admissions Committee Orange County Bar Associations, and a past member of the American Arbitration Association.
Service to Community, in various capacities, to mention a few:
Current: President of the Riverside Cemetery for over 25 years and an Orange County School Mock Trial Tournament Judge.
Past: President of Town of Montgomery Chamber of Commerce and Educator, providing first-hand experience to Elementary Students and other Youth Groups on how the Court System works by allowing them to participate in Mock Trials.
One of his many passions regarding law is researching legal issues, and he prides himself in keeping abreast of the ever changing Judicial System.
As a Justice:
On a personal note, Judge Gorss is a dedicated family man, and has been married to his wife, Vicki for 19 years - they have one dog and four cats. He is a Member of the Orange County Genealogical Society, Montgomery New Horizon’s Senior Group and a Life Long Member of the First Presbyterian Church of Montgomery. In addition, Judge Gorss was a Former Adjunct Instructor at Orange County Community College.
- A dedicated Jurist who believes in fair impartial justice while at the same time being extremely courteous to all;
- Created an atmosphere where people can understand the Court Procedure;
- Worked diligently to improve our Town Court to make it more efficient and effective;
- Provides the Balance of Respect for the Individual within the Rule of Law and Order in Our Community;
- Developed Court Forms for more efficient procedure, which a number of other Courts now use;
- Led in obtaining State Grants for the Court for a recording system, shredder, computers, printers, copiers, fax machine, metal detector, and other equipment necessary for the Court to function more efficiently;
- Instrumental in obtaining a State Grant for a New Court Facility which is being developed;
- Will continue to be accessible 24/7 for Arraignments and Court Proceedings whenever needed;
- Attended mandatory and non-mandatory Judicial Training for each of the past 20 years, sponsored by the N.Y.S. Office of Court Administration and N.Y.S. Bar Association;
- Well respected amongst his peers;
- Fellow Court Associates enjoy working with him and value his legal expertise;
- In regard to our youth, Judge Gorss is constantly diligent; recognizing that decisions made can be the difference in a productive or non-productive future;
- Experience in litigation in civil and criminal matters in all New York State Courts, as an Attorney for over 41 years;
- United in matrimony many couples and continues to perfect his ceremony to make it special for all involved;
- Volunteers his time in aiding New Justices by assisting in their Jury Trial Process and Procedures.
- Displays Devotion to our Community as a Life Long Resident, Understanding it's Problems and Challenges;
- He is proud of his Judicial Record and wishes to continue to serve the Town of Montgomery.
Quote: "Experience is the Best Teacher"