Town Justice Frederick G. Gorss
Frederick G. Gorss is a life long resident of the Town of Montgomery. He is in his 16th year as Montgomery Town Justice. For the past 15 years, he has also been Acting Justice of the Village of Walden, serving with the Honorable Raynard Ozman, Village of Walden Justice.
Judge Gorss is also a Private Attorney having practiced locally since 1974. His legal practice consists of Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Elder Law, Family Law, Real Estate and Probate.
Judge Gorss is admitted to practice in The New York State Courts, United States District Courts for the Southern & Eastern Districts of New York and the United States Supreme Court.
Some Professional Associations include: New York State Magistrates Association, Orange County Magistrates Association, New York State Bar Association and Orange County Bar Association, and a past member of the American Arbitration Association.
Service to Community, in various capacities, to mention a few:
Current: President of the Riverside Cemetery for over 20 years and an Orange County School Mock Trial Tournament Judge.
Past: President of Town of Montgomery Chamber of Commerce and Educator, providing first-hand experience to Elementary Students and other Youth Groups on how the Court System works by allowing them to participate in Mock Trials.
One of his many passions regarding law is researching legal issues, and he prides himself in keeping abreast of the ever changing Judicial System.
As a Justice:
On a personal note, Judge Gorss is a dedicated family man, and has been married to his wife, Vicki for 15 years - they have one dog and four cats. He is a Member of the Orange County Genealogical Society, Montgomery New Horizon’s Senior Group and a Life Long Member of the First Presbyterian Church of Montgomery. In addition, Judge Gorss was a Former Adjunct Instructor at Orange County Community College.
- A dedicated Jurist who believes in fair impartial justice while at the same time being extremely courteous to all;
- Created an atmosphere where people can understand the Court Procedure;
- Worked diligently to improve our Town Court to make it more efficient and effective;
- Developed Court Forms for more efficient procedure;
- Led in obtaining State Grants for the Court for a recording system, shredder, computers, copiers, fax machine, metal detector, and other equipment necessary for the Court to function more efficiently;
- Instrumental in obtaining a State Grant for a New Court Facility which is being developed;
- Will continue to be accessible 24/7 for Arraignments and Court Proceedings whenever needed;
- Attended mandatory and non-mandatory Judicial Training for each of the past 16 years;
- Well respected amongst his peers;
- Fellow Court Associates enjoy working with him and value his legal expertise;
- In regard to our youth, Judge Gorss is constantly diligent; recognizing that decisions made can be the difference in a productive or non-productive future;
- Experience in litigation in civil and criminal matters in all New York State Courts, as an Attorney for over 37 years;
- United in matrimony many couples and continues to perfect his ceremony to make it special for all involved;
- He is proud of his Judicial Record and wishes to continue to serve the Town of Montgomery.
Town Justice Harry J. Mills