In response to several Town employees testing positive for COVID-19 over the past month we had a comprehensive disinfection of all Town Hall buildings and vehicles including the Town Police Department.  

Town Hall will re-open March 1st to the general public BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.  We are asking Town residents to continue to utilize our website, the mail and our newly installed drop box which is located immediately to the right of the front door of Town Hall.  If it is necessary for you to physically enter Town Hall please call ahead of time so we can better manage visitors and protect both residents and Town Hall employees.  

Also, as the covid-19 vaccine has become available we understand that it has been very difficult to navigate through the registration process.  The TOMSTRONG Community Response Team has been mobilized once again to assist residents who need help.  If you are interested in receiving the COVID-19 Vaccine but are having trouble making an appointment please call 845-741-2835 and we will do all we can to help.  The Town of Montgomery does not have vaccines available we have simply created a helpline to assist town residents during this time.

Thank you for your understanding.  We all welcome and hope for a return to some semblance of normalcy in the coming months and year ahead.  If there is anything we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact us.  

Click here and scroll down for Department Head Contacts and Phone Number Extensions.

For the month of March access to Town Hall will remain limited.  We ask all residents who physically enter Town Hall to pay their taxes to instead utilize other options.  First, you can mail in your payment.  Second, you can drop your payment into the secured drop box outside of the front entrance of town hall.  Lastly, you can make your payment online by visiting the town website at and click on the “Property Tax Bills” tab. If you have any questions related to paying your tax bill please call 845-457-2600 - extension 9, then press 1.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.


Brian Maher
Town of Montgomery
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

NYS Department of Health - Information on  Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Minutes & Agendas
Parks & RecreationParks & RecreationParks & RecreationParks & Recreation 
Agendas, Minutes & Videos             Town Calendar                   Property Tax Bills               Departments & Officials               Police & Code Red

The Transportation Hub of the Northeast

Do I need a license for my dog?
Yes, it is a NYS law that every dog over the age of 4 months old needs to be registered.  In the Town of Montgomery every dog owned or harbored in the Town for longer than 30 days must be licensed.   Click here for more information about licensing your dog:    pdf Love Me, License Me .   Download the   pdf dog license application  here.

How do I obtain a marriage license?
*  Both parties must be present to apply for a marriage license. 
*  The cost is $40.00.  The Town of Montgomery accepts cash or checks.
*  There is a 24-hour waiting period from the time the license is issued.
*  After the 24-hour waiting period the license is valid for 60 calendar days.
*  You must provide one age-related document and one identity-related document.
     * Age-related documents would include a birth certificate (not from the hospital),
         baptismal record, naturalization record or census record.  This document must contain a 
         raised seal.
     *  Identity-related documents would include a driver's license, passport, employment 
         picture ID or immigration record.
     *  All documents must be in English.  If a document is not in English, it must be officially
*  If either party was previously married information regarding the previous marriage(s) must
    be furnished.
     *  If divorced, final divorce papers must be furnished, which states that the marriage was
         dissolved and  includes the filing stamp from the County Clerk.
     *  If prior marriage ended in death, the death certificate must be furnished.

Do I need a license to renew my vows?
* Yes.  A second or subsequent ceremony occurs when a couple can prove that they are
    already married to each other, regardless of where the marriage occurred and wish to
    remarry the same person (i.e., renew their vows) in New York State.
*  The 24-hour waiting period is not a requirement for second or subsequent ceremonies.
*  The couple must bring in the same documents to prove age and identity.  The cost of a license
     for a second or subsequent marriage is the same ($40.00 - cash or check).

Hours for issuing marriage licenses are:  
Monday - Thursday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

How do I register to vote?
You can pick up a registration form online (New York State Voter Registration Form) or at the Town Clerk's office and mail in your registration or register in person at the Orange County Board of Elections office.

For more information including qualifications to vote, voter registration deadlines, changes to your registration and other important information, go to: NYS Board of Elections

How do I apply for the STAR exemption on my school taxes?
You can get in touch with the Assessor's Office at 845-457-2650, option 7.  Visit our Assessor's page for more info.

How can I find out my tax payment bills and if they've been paid?
Click here to View or Print Property Tax Bills.

When do I pay my taxes?
Visit our Receiver of Taxes page.

Do I need a building permit?
Vist our Building Department page.

How do I pay a ticket?
Visit our Court Clerk's page.


Montgomery Town Hall

110 Bracken Road
Montgomery, NY 12549
P: 845-457-2660
F: 845-457-2613